Monday, December 1, 2008

Post-Turkey Madness

Why is it that after a holiday, when you should be all refreshed and ready to get down to business, everything seems so much more overwhelming?

I have an insane week. Work - of course - I have a LOT of work after a pretty much nothing week last week, I have court most days this week, and I need to prepare feverishly for a bunch of probation revocation hearings, trial calendar and arraignments...and then it's also officially the beginning of the Christmas season, meaning tons of extra events and functions and obligations. I love Christmas, really, but it's all so overwhelming. I have no real "parties" to go to (yet), which is fine, but I do have a little Junior Service League Christmas party tonight. The Rome Christmas Parade is tomorrow, so I am taking C & C Music Factory to enjoy that (in the freezing cold...) and then Wednesday the poinsettias get delivered. I am on the poinsettia committee for JSL, which is great, but it's also a HUGE job. Thursday and Friday (after trial calendars and arraignments) is the big poinsettia delivery fest...and then...then it's the weekend. Phew...

I don't even want to THINK about next week, and trials...but I will. Because I'm a professional and it's my job. Speaking of my job, I did have my annual performance review last week. I have officially "exceeded expectations" in all areas...meaning, normally, a raise. However, it's just a promotion on paper thanks to all the State budget cut backs. Ah, well.

On another note, I did have a lovely holiday and weekend. I love my family. We had SUCH a wonderful Thanksgiving and Carsie said the blessing (well, she sang it, in fact) and we all enjoyed each other so very much. And then I went home and did laundry and watched a little Clark Griswold in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" which is sort of my own private tradition. It's not Christmas without Chevy Chase...

The rest of the weekend was chill. Good times with good friends, good food, good music, and a bit of beer. Saturday the dawgs lost AND my War Tigers fell off the wagon. Again. *sigh* but then I got to hang with the girls (plus a couple guys) and see David Bell at Opi's...and then there was a random viewing of "Dogma" at a friend's...a trip to Silver Creek to drive a friend home, and then I was in bed...Sunday was really nice. I watched "Shag", read my book (Naked by David Sedaris) and picked up the chick peas from Alabama. All in all - fabulocity, I must say.

Now. To work, I go. With a somewhat heavy heart, but after a couple cups of starter fluid, I should be fine. Coffee...mmmmmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment