Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Waffle House Whimsy

I'm a little down. Let me tell you why (and this is my blog, did you expect anything less of me?) - I have these friends - Keith & Ana Kastanias - that had a great little sandwich shop across from my office called the Broad Street Cafe. I ate lunch there most days, with the "courthouse crew"...because it's madness to deal with downtown Rome parking and drive somewhere for lunch. I also realized, after their recent relocation (just 3 doors down) that they make a killer breakfast. I'm a big fan of breakfast - REAL breakfast - bacon & eggs and stuff. None of this mini-muffin or pop-tart stuff.

So, anyway, I was eating breakfast there a couple times a week and enjoying it. And now, they are gone. Keith has taken another opportunity, which I think is great for him, but where the HECK am I supposed to get breakfast? I like a local diner kinda place. I went to Waffle House today, and while the service was Fast & Friendly, and the food was great, it was just NOT the same. And, it was kinda pricey! $7.50 for breakfast? I don't pay that much for lunch most days. Grrr....

Anyway, now that I got the breakfast dilemma off my chest, onto bigger and better things. Have you noticed it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas? Seems like just yesterday it was sweltering hot in August. And now it's only 2 weeks until Christmas? CRAZY! I gotta get busy. Santa comes soon, soon, soon! Speaking of Santa, I have some issues when talking to my children about Santa. I'm not a good liar. Really. Despite being a lawyer and a Bachelor of Arts in Theater...I really am NOT a good liar. Particularly when it comes to lying to my innocent children. I had scary Santa issues as a child, and while I was apparently not scarred for life, I just don't know what to do about this. Cole is into Santa. He thinks he's cool, is not particularly scared of him, and will straighten up and fly right if he thinks "Santa is watching." (Though, really, shouldn't he do that just because he's TOLD to do that?) Carson, on the other hand, seems somewhat freaked about Santa, denies that he can see her at all because if he could, he might be able to see her panties and that, my dears, "would just be so wrong, Mommy!" And, honestly? She's so totally right! Who wants a strange fat old man from up North looking at her in her panties? Not me, man. However, Carson has recently had a change of heart because Mommy said Carson can't have a trampoline. Well, apparently, Santa will, in fact, bring her a trampoline. When asked how Santa is going to get a trampoline on her sleigh, Carson answers, in the most OBVIOUS voice... "One at a time, silly."

Tomorrow is the annual Rome Bar Association Christmas Reception at the country club. Miss Sarah (babysitter) is coming over to watch Christmas movies with the munchkins and I am going to schmooze with the good old boys for a little while and then hit the Moon Roof for maybe one drink while I enjoy the soothing sounds of David Bell/Thunderbolt Patterson. Fabulocity.

And then there is the weekend. Let the shopping begin...and the good times roll.

Questions of the day:

1. What is your perfect breakfast?

2. Do you have a Christmas spending budget? Do you stick to it?

3. What are YOUR feelings on the whole Santa debauchle?

5 comments:

  1. 1. What is your perfect breakfast?
    I make a KILLER scrambled egg sandwich. The secret is in the scrambled eggs...but it's toasted sourdough, a tiny bit of mayo, scrambled eggs (really fluffy), sliced tomato, provolone cheese and bacon. YUMMO. (Today I had hashbrowns, scattered, @ Waffle House...)

    2. Do you have a Christmas spending budget?
    Do you stick to it?
    Yes, and yes. In fact, we actually draw names, but the last several years, I've done strictly homemade Christmas gifts (except for kidlets, who actually get a big toy, and books, puzzles, stocking stuff and that's mostly it.) - and the homemade thing is still going strong.

    3. What are YOUR feelings on the whole Santa debauchle?
    I'm still torn. *sigh* If they start asking more questions, I'll tell them he's pretend, but good pretend. Cole will argue. Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. What is your perfect breakfast?
    Because I miss these places so much, I'd have to say a Chicken breakfast burrito from chick-fil-a and a peppermint mocha from Starbucks.
    2. Do you have a Christmas spending budget? Do you stick to it?
    Yes and absolutely, yes. We have no choice but to have a budget and stick to it, especially this year.
    3. What are YOUR feelings on the whole Santa debauchle?
    Well, you know my feelings because they are your feelings. I'm torn as well. I've decided to talk about Santa if they want to and if they bring it up. But I want them to know the idea and tradition behind Santa and that he is based on a *real* person. I think if we play and have fun with it but don't get too crazy about it, it'll all work out. *sigh* I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. What is your perfect breakfast?
    I truly love raisin bran on weekdays, but then on weekends, I like the whole eggs and bacon thing. I love to go out for brunch on weekends too.

    2. Do you have a Christmas spending budget?
    Do you stick to it?
    Well, I have a list of people to buy for and a general idea of how much I'll spend on each person, but come to think of it, I haven't actually totaled that up....okay, I just did and yes, I have stuck to that budget. Go me!

    3. What are YOUR feelings on the whole Santa debauchle?
    Not being a parent, I haven't put much thought into it. But I remember as a kid liking the idea of Santa. I never put a lot of thought into any of the logistics of it because it was all just "the magic of Christmas".

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Breakfast. Eggs over easy, bacon, hashbrowns, biscut and gravy.

    2.Christmas Budget, yes, I have no other way of functioning.

    3. It is tough. Sam was in to it. But if I had it to do over I might start with it being a "tradition", a legend and tell them the story of that.. then tie it into the Jesus birth as a gift story. There is a great book called..well I think you gave it to me, about Santa where he was born, how he became a priest and his "death" that he didn't the magic of his timelessness....etc. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Breakfast - you can't beat a good old SOuthern breakfast - Eggs, bacon,grits, sausage, white gravy, biscuits, butter , apple jelly etc. BUT one cannot live on these kinds of breakfasts. I intend to have maybe 4 of these over the next 3 weeks - that will then last me till at least 6 months! However I believe Carol has "goodies" for me to take home, so maybe not so long. Usually I have a diet shake - basic, but good for me. Otherwise the bacon and egg rolls at the Kiosk at North Cronulla are brilliant - almost every Saturday!

    CHristmas budget - am beginning to think of the wastage of unwanted presents etc. I but for direct family, a small token for some workmates (like a nice magazine) and a pretty thing or 2 for 2-3 special friends. That it! I am liking the homemade idea nad will go for it next year. I hate Miranda Fair (mall) in December!

    I believe in Santa - and fairies, and the tooth fairy and fairy tales and dragons, but I know they are "fantasy" and that all things are good that are imagination and fantasy - for young children. However our society has changed - so maybe our attitudes must oo - it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete