Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sick Day

I'm sick. I'm not dying or anything, but I have a killer cold, and this is day 4 or 5 (I can't remember) and I just need to rest. I stayed home from work, though I'll probably go in after lunch. Because I'm like that. But, in the meantime, it's 9:15, and me & the kids are still in our PJs. Oops. I have to get them to school, but that would require certain acts on my part, namely, putting on a bra, socks & shoes, and getting in the car.

Anyway, my plan for the day is hot tea, the couch, and to run the laundry. The kids go to Alabama tomorrow for a Dad-weekend, so I would like to feel better (and bonus if the laundry and dishes are done on my sick day!) to be able to enjoy my weekend.

So, I promised sewing news and here it is. I got this half-yard set of FreeSpirit Fabric (Heather Bailey's POP GARDEN) from FabricWorm - I got it from her etsy shop - and there's a link from her main webshop to the etsy site. Gorgeous, isn't it!!! I love the big bright florals, I've really been drawn to that lately.

The ribbons are just from my crazy stash of ribbons & trims. I got like a 1/2 pound bag of ribbons - it was LOTS of ribbon, each 2 yards. So, these I thought would be good for embellishment, maybe, at the end I'll decide...

So, anyway, I wanted to do something fun with this, that incorporated BIG hunks, since cutting it up into tiny pieces would make you lose the pattern. I have some friends that are moving in together soon, and the one friend already lives in the house - but they plan to have a housewarming (and I'm ALL FOR any excuse to party) - so I wanted to do something fun and pretty (and useful) for them, so I decided on placemats. I actually used the stack/slice/switch method of "crazy quilting" - and I'll post my *first* (amateur) tutorial on that in the next couple days, when I finish them. Preview:

Fun, eh? I wish I had the time or the energy today to just sit and sew. I'm in the mood. But, I'm sick, and my house is a wreck. (Maybe after lunch. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Love that fabric! I've been wanting to make a crazy quilt...maybe this post will inspire me! I'm Fay(sitton) by the way, from NCHS. I came across your blog one sleepless night last week through facebook. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY FAY! I'm glad you wandered into the madness that is my blog. Thanks for visiting, be sure to check back - I'm hoping to try my hand at a "tutorial" on how I did these placemats (I tried to remember to take photos each step...) we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Can't wait for the tutorial!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog.
    Portugal

    ReplyDelete