Friday, March 7, 2014

40 Bags in 40 Days: Day 2 (under the kitchen sink)

I made it through day 2, y'all!  Day 2 of my 40 bags was great.  I started the day with dropping off over 100 books and 70-something DVDs at the Rome-Floyd Library.  
Then I stopped at WalMart (or, if you're from around here: "The Wall Marts") on the way home after work and bought a tension rod (like for a curtain), and some inexpensive plastic baskets, and rubbery shelf liner stuff.  The kids and I and opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink, which looked like this... 
BEFORE:

About 40 minutes later, we had this:
AFTER:
 And we got rid of this:
2 bags, recycling and trash:

A few notes about this area:  In the last few years (because of the big scary "C" word (cancer)) I have been much more conscious of using harmful chemicals around my house.  Yes, there are situations where bleach is necessary.  But, they are few and far between.  So, I clean with a vinegar solution, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and I do still use furniture polish.  I mop the floors with the steam mop or vinegar and water.  This means I could get rid of A LOT of the chemical based cleaners (that were 2/3 empty anyway) under my sink.  (See the trash bag on the right...), and I was able to store other things from the kitchen closet (trash bags, etc.) under the new freed up room under the sink.  YAY!  

Also, who has (or could ever, ever, EVER need) this many grocery bags?

While I was doing this, I was also making dinner.  In trying to find the random can of refried beans I just *knew* we had, I ended up cleaning a bonus cabinet that was not on the list.  I didn't get a before picture, but here is the after:




 And, in the process of cleaning out that cabinet and adding things like a never-used iced tea maker and an extra hand mixer to the donate bag, I was able to drop this bag of donations off at the Salvation Army today.  The donations guy: "Two days in a row, huh?" 
My reply: "Hopefully it will be 40 days in a row!"
I explained my situation and he said he would save a stack of receipts just for me.  And, he said he would pray for me.  Score!

Day 3 today...up next, my kitchen clutter closet/pantry/catchall...it's a huge one...

 
As always - stay tuned tomorrow for my progress!!!  And, thanks for reading.  Your encouragement has really kept me inspired (all three days, I know...) and I'll need it for the 37 more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment