Friday, April 10, 2009

Tornados?!?!?

We're in the middle of thunderstorms & apparently tornado watches. So, we're stuck inside today on this Good Friday. Here's a silly picture of the short people.



I'm in a funk. I've been SUPER stressed this week. Work was I-N-S-A-N-E...I had probation matters to deal with Wednesday, which were mentally draining - not the cases, so much, but the clients. I didn't have an inordinate amount of cases on my trial calendar Thursday (only about 20!) but they were VERY complicated cases with extreme maximum sentences (armed robbery carries 20 year minimum, life maximum; I had a drug case, NINE prior felony drug convictions - so the State is asking for 30 years, serve 10, as a recidivist (which means he can't get parole...)) - and that was only 2. Of the 20+ cases I dealt with yesterday...and then the kids are out of school today, so I had a sitter because I had to be in court at 8:30am for arraignments. Fun times, but hey - it's over now. On top of the work stress, I have some personal things I'm a little anxious and stressed about - nothing major - and I'm ok - just some things I'm trying to work out and figure out and all. Add all that to the fact that neither of my children has slept through the night this week, meaning I have gotten very, very little sleep - and I'm a MESS!!!
So, after work today, I decided I needed some sort of therapy. After I got out of court, I could NOT calm down from the stress-filled week and these personal things I'm worried about... And...what better place for therapy than - THE FABRIC SHOP!?!?!? I've been thinking about making a cute dress (cute but COMFY) for Steeplechase this year - I've made my Steeplechase frocks in the past, and Easter dresses, and other such event-based ensembles...but it's usually not a "plan" - well, this year, I'm going to be a guest of the V3 Magazine tent. (Guest may be the wrong word, as I am in fact paying for my ticket - which is totally worth it, by the way...) - The theme is an 1800-period Saloon - "A Fist Full of Dollars" - and one of my FAVORITE local bands - Atomic Boogie - is playing. FUN, FUN, FUN! So, anyway, I was wandering aimlessly in the cotton section (You know, cotton? It's the fabric of our lives? ;) ) - and I ran across this gorgeous blue toile with COVERED WAGONS and cowboys and horses and stuff...how cute for a Western theme, without being cheesey!!! But, I had planned (in this time of economic recession) to wear one of my hats from previous Steeplechases (I have 5...but they're all black, black & white, pink & black or pink & ivory...) - thus, blue wouldn't work...but SO CUTE...and then. THEN - Lo and Behold, I found the same print - in black and white!!!
And it was on sale ;) I looked and looked through the pattern books but found NADA for what I was really wanting...but I dug through my pattern stash at home and found these. I haven't made the New Look one ever, but prior Easter dresses were made out of the other two, so I know they work pretty well. One is a vintage pattern from the 60s - and it fits GREAT - and is very clean-lined and flattering - which is necessary for a somewhat busy print. The other Simplicity one is a redraft of a vintage pattern - and is also flattering, though if I use that one, I'll make the A-line a little less wide, because it's pretty full on the pink linen dress I've made before from that pattern. And, I'd probably use some black Sateen that I have for the bodice/bust piece, instead of the western toile print.
If I have enough left over, which there should be, I'll probably try this out - and even if there's not enough left, I have enough of like 5,000 other fabrics to do this pattern, anyway ;)

Stay posted for dress construction details!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I love that Amy Butler pattern. If you make it you have to post pics.

    ReplyDelete